2017 SuperQuest – Newport
Newport MS, July 26 – 28
825 NE 7th, Newport, OR 97365
- App Inventor – Learn about using MIT’s App Inventor to teach computer programming through engaging projects students can run on Android devices (or on computer based emulators).
- Code.org, Creative Coding & Physical Devices Hands-On – The purpose of this workshop is to introduce teachers to the free Code.org CS Curriculum, then build confidence with programming in Scratch, and finally with robots and other physical devices
- Digital Design and Fabrication– Effectively incorporate Digital Design & Fabrication (DDF) into your curriculum. Learn how to utilize vinyl cutters, lasers, 3D printers & scanners.
- Exploring Computer Science – Want to learn more about Exploring Computer Science? Maybe you want to offer the class at your school in the future. Here is your chance to learn more.
- Gamification – In this workshop you will learn how to use the most motivational techniques of gameplay to create a collaborative and creative classroom environment where learning comes alive for your students.
- Hands-On Physics Instruction Using VPython, Arduinos, Underwater Robots and More – We will focus our workshop on using an Arduino Microcontroller to construct a mini-underwater remotely operated vehicle that will seek out to hover at a desired programmed depth. We will introduce you to the VPython programming language, share how we use computer programming and microcontrollers in our classes, and how our students use Arduinos for fun, research, underwater ROV’s and general exploration.
- LEGO Robotics – Level 1, Programming – Are you interested in Robotics possibilities for your students? Using the popular LEGO system we will learn how to build simple robotic systems, including programming and access to various contests.
- LEGO Robotics – Level 2, Mechanical – You will build and program a series of LEGO mechanical apparatus that, combined with motors or sensors, allow us to accomplish tasks.
- Underwater ROVS– This course is designed for upper elementary through high school educators. In this hands-on workshop, attendees will learn about the development and use of Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs)
- Web Coding – Looking to build or refine a Web Design or Web Development course or unit of study? Want to enhance your own front-end development skills? Bring your personal and professional web-related goals, and we will provide the environment and dedicated time to meet your own needs.
- 8:30a-9:00a Registration & Continental Breakfast
- 9:00-12:00 Morning Session
- 12:00-1:30p Lunch-n-Learn (Meals provided)
- Guest Speakers from Education & Industry TBA!
- 1:30-4:30p Afternoon Session
- Newport Middle School
825 NE 7th
Newport OR 97365
Locale & Accommodations
- TravelOregon on Newport and the surrounding area
Teachers from Oregon Coast STEM Hub participating districts — contact Ruth McDonald via email@example.com for possible housing and mileage reimbursement options.
- We are working on some less expensive housing options …